Analytics Tracking

Monday, November 7, 2011

Are we hit yet?

I wonder about the validity of scientists when they tell us we are safe from incoming space debris - the junk we left up in space from earlier missions.  This stuff is coming at us because years of friction slowed it down to lower and lower orbits, finally crashing into earth.  And the number is enormous - 20,000 pieces of space junk and growing.

Using my analytical capabilities and undiscovered evidence, I surmise that somebody is gonna get hit by some piece of space trash at some time in my lifetime. 

Our latest potential collision came on September 24th, 2011.  A 13,000 pound satellite came crashing down with some predicting a landing in the U.S.  A scarier thought is that the old satellite will break up into pieces!  There's now more of a chance of being hit!

Did you know they actually have a bureaucracy setup to "manage" space debris.  The military and commercial interests track this legacy of space trash as well.  The best NASA could say about our latest satellite encounter was there is a "low probability" of pieces of space junk landing in North America. 

As I said to myself on that suspenseful September day: Whew!  Glad that's over.  Now I can start worrying about the next fateful incoming piece of space debris.


No comments:

Post a Comment